Journal Entry #7 - If An Electrical Component Could Talk

Image result for digivice inside
Inside A Digivice (2017) by Vashon Tnee

It was a toy which brought fun and laughter in a time when things were simpler. It was a companion, and its function was to provide a pixelated pet. The pet albeit digital, would do whatever it is an actual pet would. As the times changed, so did the children that played with this tiny little toy. Thrown into the back of a cupboard and forgotten with the rest, this digital toy sat in the dark, awaiting the day that its batteries may be replaced, and for its life to pulse with energy once more. That day never came, and slowly, its resistors got rusty, the wirings oxidised, and eventually, the contacts for the batteries decayed. It would never light up again, and so it finally prepared to lay its electrical body to rest, its consciousness returned to the electrical highway, never to return.

And it was only now, its owner returned to speak to it one last time.

The owner only had this to say: "Any last words?"

It replied with a frazzled voice, almost child-like, as though it spoke with the voice of the owner when he was young.

"I had been waiting. I waited for a very long time. The years you spent without me, were also years that my wires spent rusting in the dark. My batteries, my heart as you could call it, it decayed along with the rest of my body. My feelings and hope to once again be useful slowly faded away with each passing day. Once I had brought you joy, and that function was all I needed to live. With my purpose over, so is my life, and now I bid thee farewell one last time. I never blamed you for leaving, I had served my purpose and yet, now as I feel my components rot, I cannot help but feel anguish that I could not have another life. I suppose therein lies the irony, that it is now my end that shall release me from that pain. Goodbye, my dear owner."

-End-

Comments

Popular Posts