Journal Entry #15 - Code Poetry | mindblown(){ if {I could somehow do this} else {I must still try}}

After a very fruitful discussion on the forum as well as through feedback from friends, I decided to explore the concept of code poetry which was highlighted to me by our teaching assistant Jacqueline when she replied to my forum post pertaining to the merging of art and code.

In my search for a better medium to add a digital form to my homage, I decided to discuss about it in the forum where I questioned the possibilities of visual content which can be created through code. I was inspired by the article in the given resources which was written by Christiane Paul talking about CODeDOC which were mostly pertaining to the Whitney Museum Portal to Network Art's exhibition for the 2003 Ars Electronica Festival "CODE -- The Language of our Time."

It had never occurred to me until then that codes could be seen as literature but it dawned on me then that it is a language after all as mentioned in the article from before. The idea got me completely excited as I felt that I was closer to finding the perfect medium to pay homage to my favourite author Neil Gaiman (I am repeating this for the millionth time, I know but it's emphasis y'know?) and now I had something that I was so familiar with to use as my medium too

The link which Jacqueline gave me was this: http://code-poems.com/project.html

Upon visiting the site, it was there that I saw the beauty of the code through a form I never would have thought I could see it in: poetry.

I did more research on the idea and came across various sources that could be utilised (i.e. displaying poetry in different code languages such as C++, C#, C, HTML, CSS, etc.) and this was one of my favourite examples which I found on a site called http://www.sourcecodepoetry.com

Tears and Snow by Gediminas Geigalas 
(this poem was written in C#)

It amazed me how the functions normally utilised in normal code could become the same terms that could invoke emotion in a poem written in the C# language. The more I read, the more fascinated I was.

Then as my research continued, the question became: what if the code could actually execute itself?
I did not have to look far for examples whereby code that were poems as well could create visually stunning results on a webpage as seen through these 12 code poems here:
http://www.code-poetry.com.

Here is one example which really blew me away but they were all amazing.


Compound Eye


I was now faced with the decision to create code poetry that could execute itself or not to. As I furthered my research down the line I decided to consult Professor Nancy for more ideas.

She presented me with even more amazing materials seen here:
http://dm.ncl.ac.uk/courseblog/files/2010/02/softwarestudies.pdf
http://litline.org/ABR/issues/Volume22/Issue6/sondheim.pdf

Through these materials I was able to read up more on the idea of merging code with literature, code as an artform and much more.

She also introduced to me the concept of mezangelle which is a poetic-artistic language developed in the 1990s by Australian-based Internet artist Mez Breeze (or Mary-Anne Breeze), which paved the way for Codework, Electronic Literature and Internet art and digital writing in general.

But what she gave me next was the a-ha! moment I had been waiting for.

It was this tiny link right here:
http://tbt.dyne.org/

Time-based text.

I was inspired. A rush of ideas flowed into my head and one stood out to me the most.

I now intended to make a website with my author's text flowing into the page in a coherent and succinct manner that would honour both him and the medium of code.

So off I go!





Comments

Popular Posts